Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 14, 2015

Be mindful how you treat your elders

Be mindful how you treat your elders and do not create a space or atmosphere for anyone to mistreat them.

Years ago, while I was living in Los Angeles, my mother (whom was living in Kansas) was rushed via ambulance to the emergency room. I was en route to a dinner party when I received a call from my mom's friend. Immediately, I wanted to go home and check for flights.

My then-boyfriend at the time insisted that we attend the party anyway because he hadn't seen his friends in a long time and he was looking forward to the dinner party.

In my mind, all I could think of was how I could get back to West Los Angeles to look up flights. We arrived to the dinner party the hosts ( a married couple) greeted us at the door.

They took one look at my tear-stained face and inquired to my emotional state. I told them about my mom and the wife whom was Greek rushed me up the stairs to her office so that we could look at flights to Kansas.

"Family is everything." She told me.

An hour or so later, my cell phone rang and I was informed that my mom was alright. Only then, could I relax and enjoy the party.
That day, I gained a whole new respect for Stella and the way she was willing to leave her own dinner party to help me.

However, my then boyfriend lost so much respect from me and to this day I am glad that I did not marry him. He was more concerned about his social calendar than my emotional well-being.

Social media brings this behavior to the forefront. We become more focused on our image to the detriment of our character.

No comments:

Post a Comment