Skip to main content

My Take On The Confederate Flag Debate


 ***REPOST FROM MY PERSONAL  FACEBOOK PAGE***





I am having so much fun reading debates about the Confederate flag and how it has been "misconstrued" over the years. In addition, those offended by it are being brainwashed by both the "PC police" and "media hype".

Whilst growing up in the SUPER racist town of Topeka, KS and attending college for the first 2 years at Kansas State. I can recall several incidents in which racial slurs were hurled directly at me and those folks doing the hurling were either wearing an article clothing with a Confederate flag or driving a vehicle which had one emblazoned on it.

In fact many of these hostile "exchanges" consisted of the person hurling said racial slurs at me stating things such as "Things would be so much better if the South had one the War. You lazy blacks have no idea how to work hard at anything" etc. Which struck me since, this country was built on the backs of said "lazy Blacks". Yes, I did pose that question to one of the hurlers of racist epitaphs and he did not have a ready answer for me.

Now, I realize only now, that in my haste not to become a victim of a hate crime, I was derelict in my duty to educate said attacker on the true origins of the Confederate flag.

I wish with all of my heart that the folks defending the Confederate Flag in 2015 would have been there with me during my childhood and first 2 years of college (circa 1980's and 1990's) to "educate" these folks.

History is comprised up of all our stories. My story with the Confederate flag consists of racist bigots calling me the N word, being physically attacked, and yes even spit at.

Keep in mind, I was born in 1974. I can only imagine what a person of color born in the 1920's thinks when they see that flag waving. Are they terrible people for being triggered by a symbol which they associate with slavery and Jim Crow?

 It is their history after all.

Sure, people have invoked the American flag to perform all types of atrocities. But, like it or not this is the flag that represents the USA in 2015.

How does Walmart and other retailers discontinuing their sale of the Confederate flag or even its removal from government institutions going to cause a sudden "amnesia" of history?

Slavery has been abolished for over 100 years in this country. I am pretty sure that everyone remembers that it once existed without Black people walking around in chains with whip marks on their backs.

I would like all of the Confederate Flag defenders to feel free to hoist it onto the flagpole in front of your house, affix it to the bumper of your vehicle, and wear it with pride. This is 'Murica after all.
Just realize and respect that this flag holds an entirely different meaning for the people terrorized underneath it.
‪#‎ConfederateFlag‬ ‪#‎history‬ ‪#‎ourstory‬ ‪#‎Murica‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Nook Envy

I am in the process of creating a Writer's Nook for my townhouse. This task is so  Gen X/hipstery that I feel a little sheepish about even blogging about it. Yet, it must be mentioned because this simple task has turned into a huge undertaking.

My new townhouse has a spacious basement which upon first glance seemed like a great place to set up an office and a workshop. Setting up the work table and supplies went pretty smoothly.

However, the drafty basement has proved to be a not so great location for my writer's nook. Also, it is a windowless space which after awhile made me feel as though I was in some sort of lock down situation.

So, I moved my writer's nook upstairs and this space is definitely more conducive for working. Though, my makeshift printer tables pushed together a long with the dining room chair screams "first apartment out of college chic".

At age 41, I would like to move past that decor and into something a lot more sophisticated.

Alas, cash flo…

Lots Of Irons In My Fire...

The past few months have been hectic in a good way. Years of personal growth, soul searching, and planning have come to fruition. Though, everything is not completely in place yet. I am definitely moving in the right direction.

I know this because the obstacles which were firmly in my way before seem to be stepping aside for me. The Universe seems to have given its blessing to this more evolved path that I am walking. Of course, this is not to say that there will not be challenges along the way.

But, I have learned over the years how not to allow challenges to become permanent barriers. Challenges are meant to guide us in the right direction. Unfortunately,they can occur without prior warning and despite having a solid contingency plan in place. Been there. Done that.

It has only been within the past few years that I have truly learned to embrace the wisdom which can come from challenges and unforeseen delays. A few years ago, several challenges swept into my life and seemed to take …

I am a bougie girl: Bold Statement Necklace

This necklace requires some sass and a little fashion imagination