Here's a simple brainstorm about how academic institutions can pay adjunct professors.
(Please note that brainstorm is by no means comprehensive and is designed to be more of an entry point to a larger brainstorm.)
1. Academic institutions could contract with adjuncts to teach up to 3 years. The contract is eligible for renewal on a yearly basis.
2. Adjuncts could teach 4 Classes a semester and back fill administrative functions within their respective departments.
3. Offer adjuncts housing, weekly meal stipend, and health insurance through the campus health facilities. On campus meal stipend is $40 a week that the adjunct has the option to choose as a perk.
4. Pay adjuncts a net of $2,950 a month from August to December and January to May.
5. Adjuncts have the option to stay in housing over the summer but must work on campus at least 15 hours a week to do so.
6. Adjuncts could teach and assist as administrators for an academic institution's night, weekend, and online course curriculum.