Skip to main content

Guest Blogger: Jason Greiner on Photography

Bird of Paradise by Jason Greiner

I’ve always had a number of artistic interests. But sometime around 12 years ago or so, I really began to develop an affinity for photography.

I was about 20 years old when I began to take this medium seriously. Before that time, like nearly everybody else out there, I had really only dealt with snapshots. And these snapshot where generally taken with either a film-based point and shoot camera, something of the old instant photo variety or one of those ultra convenient disposable jobs. It was at this point that I was given the gift of my first real digital camera.

But at this time, for some reason I began to really start to think about my legacy and the precious element of time. I found that the art of photography gave me the ability to achieve something so simple yet at the same time so profound. This was the ability to freeze a single moment in time, to capture it and hold onto it for all of eternity.

So, as my passion grew, I studied the craft. I did so by reading vigorously and seeking to learn from the experience and guidance or local professionals and long-time photography enthusiasts. I experimented with different techniques and was always in search of new subject matter on which to focus.

I wanted to make my passion my career. But at the same time, I knew that I couldn’t just abandon my day job as an office assistant at a local university. I couldn’t just risk everything for an unknown future. So, I decided to found a side business which would allow me to work with my photography on a by appointment only basis. This was one way to assure that it would no interfere with my main job and other responsibilities.

Since that day in mid-2007, I’ve had a wonderful ride. The opportunities to shoot photographs in some beautiful locations, of fascinating scenes and of some really amazing people has been a truly enriching experience. 

Now, I can only hope and wish that others will have the chance to enjoy working with photography as much as I have.

WEBSITE:

BIO:
Jason Greiner is a photographer and literary artist from Pittsburgh, PA. He graduated from college in 2002 with a BA in journalism and mass communications with a minor in English literature. In 2007, he founded the Three Rivers Creative Arts company based in the Mount Washington neighborhood of the city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Nook Envy

I am in the process of creating a Writer's Nook for my townhouse. This task is so  Gen X/hipstery that I feel a little sheepish about even blogging about it. Yet, it must be mentioned because this simple task has turned into a huge undertaking.

My new townhouse has a spacious basement which upon first glance seemed like a great place to set up an office and a workshop. Setting up the work table and supplies went pretty smoothly.

However, the drafty basement has proved to be a not so great location for my writer's nook. Also, it is a windowless space which after awhile made me feel as though I was in some sort of lock down situation.

So, I moved my writer's nook upstairs and this space is definitely more conducive for working. Though, my makeshift printer tables pushed together a long with the dining room chair screams "first apartment out of college chic".

At age 41, I would like to move past that decor and into something a lot more sophisticated.

Alas, cash flo…

Lots Of Irons In My Fire...

The past few months have been hectic in a good way. Years of personal growth, soul searching, and planning have come to fruition. Though, everything is not completely in place yet. I am definitely moving in the right direction.

I know this because the obstacles which were firmly in my way before seem to be stepping aside for me. The Universe seems to have given its blessing to this more evolved path that I am walking. Of course, this is not to say that there will not be challenges along the way.

But, I have learned over the years how not to allow challenges to become permanent barriers. Challenges are meant to guide us in the right direction. Unfortunately,they can occur without prior warning and despite having a solid contingency plan in place. Been there. Done that.

It has only been within the past few years that I have truly learned to embrace the wisdom which can come from challenges and unforeseen delays. A few years ago, several challenges swept into my life and seemed to take …

I am a bougie girl: Bold Statement Necklace

This necklace requires some sass and a little fashion imagination