Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Bougie Girl: Courtship Essays-Walking Down The Aisles


We have never done this before…together anyway. I am a nervous wreck but, I cannot tell if he is feeling the same level anxiety that I am. We are on the fast track to learning more things about each other. The 90 minute phone sessions four times a week are no doubt one of the reasons for this.
But, now we are embarking on something a little more involved. He steers his SUV into one of the last available parking spaces. 

He looks at me with such an earnest expression that my heart reflexively soars. A small smile plays on his lips. He steps out of the SUV and then immediately comes over to the passenger side of the vehicle and opens the door.

Gingerly, he takes my hand and assists me out of the vehicle. The wind blows through my hair and he leans down to kiss me lightly upon the mouth.

“Are you ready?”

I nod and take ahold of his outstretched hand.

A few minutes later, he grabs a shopping cart and I pull the grocery list from a side pocket of my purse.

We start off in produce and wend our way towards the meat counter. On the way to the meat counter, we pass the wine department. Both of us spend more than a few minutes perusing the Malbec section.
Tonight’s dinner amounts to an amplified snack tray. We are pulling together a hodge podge of cheeses, slices of meats, fruits, veggies, and crackers.  Friday nights are for decompressing from the hectic work week.

We are moving into the fifth month of our courtship and so far it has been filled with lots of laughter, serious discussions, sweetness, with a huge dose of stability. We stroll the grocery aisles taking turns navigating the shopping cart.  

I let him handle the items on tall shelves and he defers to my judgement when it comes to the brands of cheese that we add to tonight’s dinner.

Almost an hour later, we are waiting in the checkout lane. We survive strolling down the grocery aisles with nary a disagreement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Bougie Girl