Skip to main content

Breakup Essays: Essay #10- The Threat Of The Recently Single Woman


Finally, the day arrived when you could no longer turn bear to spend a moment longer in that crappy relationship. You got tired of pretending to be happy to keep the peace. For years your family and friends urged you to leave him.
But, a part of you still held out hope that the boyishly charming young man whom you fell in love with in college would magically return. He never did. You are starting to suspect that the charming young man only existed in the corners of your marriage hungry mind.
Thankfully, you had no kids together and you were amicable enough to split all of the assets down the middle.  You spent the first few months of freedom being the extra person at the dinner party. All of your married friends were eager to live vicariously through the recently divorced girlfriend. Your single life seemed so glamourous to them and to their husbands as well.
You begin to notice the way in which the husbands within your circle of friends seem very eager to volunteer to help you with home repairs. The  eagerness of their husbands to assist you also does not go unnoticed by their wives whom have started to freeze you out of their tightly knit circle. Their kindness has been replaced with inexplicable coldness. IYour name is suddenly left off of guest lists and it is as though you no longer exist. Please do not take this personally. Your singlehood has reminded your friends that their own marriages might not be as secure as they had previously hoped.  Their husbands view you as a safe flirtation with the promise of a bit more. This can only spell unnecessary psychodrama for you. Time for you to gracefully accept that these friendships are now in your rearview mirror.

Go build a new tribe filled with other divorced women whom are eager to start their lives anew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Nook Envy

I am in the process of creating a Writer's Nook for my townhouse. This task is so  Gen X/hipstery that I feel a little sheepish about even blogging about it. Yet, it must be mentioned because this simple task has turned into a huge undertaking.

My new townhouse has a spacious basement which upon first glance seemed like a great place to set up an office and a workshop. Setting up the work table and supplies went pretty smoothly.

However, the drafty basement has proved to be a not so great location for my writer's nook. Also, it is a windowless space which after awhile made me feel as though I was in some sort of lock down situation.

So, I moved my writer's nook upstairs and this space is definitely more conducive for working. Though, my makeshift printer tables pushed together a long with the dining room chair screams "first apartment out of college chic".

At age 41, I would like to move past that decor and into something a lot more sophisticated.

Alas, cash flo…

Lots Of Irons In My Fire...

The past few months have been hectic in a good way. Years of personal growth, soul searching, and planning have come to fruition. Though, everything is not completely in place yet. I am definitely moving in the right direction.

I know this because the obstacles which were firmly in my way before seem to be stepping aside for me. The Universe seems to have given its blessing to this more evolved path that I am walking. Of course, this is not to say that there will not be challenges along the way.

But, I have learned over the years how not to allow challenges to become permanent barriers. Challenges are meant to guide us in the right direction. Unfortunately,they can occur without prior warning and despite having a solid contingency plan in place. Been there. Done that.

It has only been within the past few years that I have truly learned to embrace the wisdom which can come from challenges and unforeseen delays. A few years ago, several challenges swept into my life and seemed to take …

I am a bougie girl: Bold Statement Necklace

This necklace requires some sass and a little fashion imagination