Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 19, 2015

We'll Always Have Newport: Chapter 13-Civilian's Day Out






(September 2010)

I am en route to a baby shower which is located on the other side of Rhode Island. Men and children are welcome to attend but, the Sailor has to work until later this afternoon. Frankly, I do not want to bring him along. Is that terrible? I love spending time with him yet, I yearn for the civilian world. I want to sit and laugh with my new friends and not have to even think about duty stations, paperwork, or anything else related to the military.

I arrive to the baby shower and just about every woman is there with a husband and/or significant other. However, I do not even feel a bit self-conscious about arriving solo. My friends immediately inquire as to the whereabouts of the Sailor.

I explain that this is the first time in a couple of months where I have been able to just hang out with friends on my own. They all nod in agreement.

One of them hands me a mimosa and points out the location of the food table. A few hours later, I am swapping childhood stories with everyone. The baby shower is wrapping up and the hostess hands me a container filled with  two huge hunks of cake for that "hungry Sailor of mine".

I leave the party feeling lighter and a little more sure of myself. Six months ago, I had an identity that had nothing to do with the Navy and now all of that has changed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Bougie Girl