Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, October 18, 2015

We'll Always Have Newport: Chapter 5-Telling The World...




“Wait, you mean that you are just going to pack up and move cross-country to a place sight unseen because you fell in love with a dude in the Navy?”

I respond to her query with a smile.

“Yes.”

She exchanges a look with her husband and he shrugs.

“If it doesn’t work out. You can always move back.”

He proceeds to add a bit more red wine to my partially filled glass.

Diane and Doug are a little older than me and have been married approximately…forever.

They raise a toast to my impetuosity and we all take a sip of wine. This will be my final glass of the evening because I still have a lot of packing and purging  yet to do.

I made this decision roughly six weeks ago and life has become a seemingly neverending series of phone calls, emails, and paperwork.  I have secured an apartment in Newport, RI and I have been doing phone interviews with potential employers. I am also in the process of training my replacement.

My 4 hour phone marathons with the Sailor keep me sane and grounded. We have plans to be married the following year. More than likely, it will be a small wedding with just a few local folks and then a huge reception later on down the line.

Needless to say, no one in my family is pleased about this but, they know better than to argue with me.

Besides, I am taking all of the precautions. We are waiting to get married and the apartment and during the first year both the apartment and utilities will start out in my name. I have a cousin and some friends from college living in nearby Boston. I am ready to embrace my New England destiny.

My move date is  less than a month away. It is hard to believe that I am going to once again be strolling the beach and snapping photos of docks. I can almost taste the fresh seafood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Bougie Girl