Remember a few months back when President Obama mentioned offering free community college and everyone went ballistic either with excitement or disgust?
Well, I started brainstorming about how we could implement this without making it too complicated. Now obviously, there are a lot of moving parts to this particular brainstorm. So, in the interest in time and space, I am going to break it down into 3 separate blog posts.
The first one is all about the simple logistics of which major/degree programs could be offered along with some proposed general guidelines.
Below are some possible majors/degree programs which could be offered:
1. Business-Accounting, Finance, Management, and Marketing
2. Arts-Music, Theater, and Visual Arts
3. General Studies
4. Legal Studies-Criminal Justice, Paralegal Studies, and Legal Administration
5. Medical Studies-Nursing, Dental, Medical Technology
7. Vet Tech
8. Foreign Languages- Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Arabic, and Italian
9. Law Enforcement
10. Fire Science
11. General Sciences and Engineering
12. Professional Certifications (Online Only)
13. Computer Science
14. Real Estate
15. Pharmacy Tech
16. GED and life skills
1. All students are eligible if they have at least a 2.0 GPA from high school.
2.Students are limited to 12 credit hours per semester.
3. Semesters run in the Fall, Spring, and Summer.
4. Classes are offered during the following times:
a. 8 am to 9 pm Monday through Friday;
b. 9 am to 5 pm on Saturdays; and
c. 1 pm to 5 pm on Sundays.
5. Student housing and meals are not included in the free tuition.
6. The college needs to have transfer agreements in place with other local universities.
7. Summer school sessions are limited to general studies classes only.