Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunset In Newport


Sunset In Newport, Rhode Island Post Card
I snapped this photo at Fort Adams in Newport, RI.

Sunset In Newport, Rhode Island Post Card by Bougie Girl

Three years ago, I wrote a memoir about my 2 years living in Newport, RI. I laid it all out there. The good, the bad, the sad, and of course, the meals. But, as I edited the rough draft, something did not sit right with me. I felt as though the story was incomplete for several reasons which I will not go into here. 

Time and distance has a way for helping a writer get a clearer view on a situation. I am now in the midst of re-writing the memoir and break it up into 2 books instead of just one. The first 6 months of my time in Newport greatly differed from the rest of the time that I spent there.
Combining the two experiences made the memoir vastly uneven. 

For the past week, I have been rushing home to write an essay for the memoir. I catch myself laughing out loud and reminiscing on my adventures there. I left Newport with this heightened respect for the sacrifices that military servicemembers and their families are making for this country.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Bougie Girl