Skip to main content

NaBloPoMo: Undercover Success...


Undercover Success... Tee Shirt
Undercover Success... Tee Shirt by Bougie Girl Apparel

I am sitting in a coffee shop clacking away on my laptop. They are standing on the edge of my peripheral vision. I can make out faint voices but, I do not bother looking up. The writing muse is a jealous one. She will not stand for being ignored even for a brief moment. The whispering grows louder and I turn to see two well-dressed late 30ish women staring at me. 

Upon a closer look, I recognize them from high school. They look perfectly preserved in a way which denotes wealth and privilege.  As soon as  I make eye contact, they saunter over to size me up. 
They take in my loose mid-length ponytail, yoga pants, and black hoodie. They also take a gander at my ringless left hand. They exchange a smile between one another and then fire up their "mean girl" routine.

"How are book sales?" The shorter one asks

"Good, I suppose." I reply.

The taller one sneers at my response.
"Well, at the end of the day the most important thing in the world is family. My husband is really supportive of me being a stay at home mom."

Uh-oh, here comes the defensiveness of a woman with unrealized dreams clinging to her marriage as a way of validating her existence.

The shorter one chimes again,
"Well, to be honest I never thought that you would ever be successful. I mean you were such a disaster in high school. But, look how much you have accomplished since then..."

She lets the sentence trail off and fixes me with a look of contempt

This stumble down the briars and brambles of memory lane has gone on long enough. The writing muse does not like to be interrupted. 

"It was nice catching up." I say  turning back to my laptop.

Flummoxed with my lack of attention...the classmates from hell slink away in defeat.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Nook Envy

I am in the process of creating a Writer's Nook for my townhouse. This task is so  Gen X/hipstery that I feel a little sheepish about even blogging about it. Yet, it must be mentioned because this simple task has turned into a huge undertaking.

My new townhouse has a spacious basement which upon first glance seemed like a great place to set up an office and a workshop. Setting up the work table and supplies went pretty smoothly.

However, the drafty basement has proved to be a not so great location for my writer's nook. Also, it is a windowless space which after awhile made me feel as though I was in some sort of lock down situation.

So, I moved my writer's nook upstairs and this space is definitely more conducive for working. Though, my makeshift printer tables pushed together a long with the dining room chair screams "first apartment out of college chic".

At age 41, I would like to move past that decor and into something a lot more sophisticated.

Alas, cash flo…

Lots Of Irons In My Fire...

The past few months have been hectic in a good way. Years of personal growth, soul searching, and planning have come to fruition. Though, everything is not completely in place yet. I am definitely moving in the right direction.

I know this because the obstacles which were firmly in my way before seem to be stepping aside for me. The Universe seems to have given its blessing to this more evolved path that I am walking. Of course, this is not to say that there will not be challenges along the way.

But, I have learned over the years how not to allow challenges to become permanent barriers. Challenges are meant to guide us in the right direction. Unfortunately,they can occur without prior warning and despite having a solid contingency plan in place. Been there. Done that.

It has only been within the past few years that I have truly learned to embrace the wisdom which can come from challenges and unforeseen delays. A few years ago, several challenges swept into my life and seemed to take …

I am a bougie girl: Bold Statement Necklace

This necklace requires some sass and a little fashion imagination