Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 12, 2012

I Found The Greatest Love Of All...




 

I was in the 6th grade the first time I heard Whitney Houston's version of "The Greatest Love Of All". This song literally changed my life for the better. At the time,  I was a scrawny, crazy-haired Black girl, with a broad nose, and prominent lips.

Growing up in Kansas, I was not anyone's idea of a beauty queen. Yet, I learned to both love and accept myself because I really had no choice. I just could not imagine hating myself because I did not fit into what the media had declared beautiful.

I remember listening to this song over and over on my cassette player.It acted as a daily reminder  that the greatest love of all begins and ends... with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Bougie Girl