Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bougie Girl Audio: Boy Guardians


Boy Guardians bumpersticker
Boy Guardians by Bougie Girl Apparel

Listen to the Audio: Boy Guardians

I grew up during the 1980's and 90's.  During my childhood, a majority of my friends were boys. I played basketball, football, whiffle ball, and even ran foot races against them. We were always there for one another. I was a scrawny awkward looking girl so, none of my male friends viewed me as girlfriend material.

This was fine with me because I was more into books, sports, theater, and science experiments than dating. However, once I reached college things drastically changed.  Inexplicably,  I  blossomed into an attractive coed which made things awkward with my male friends. 

Yet, ever chivalrous gentlemen, they made an unspoken pact to look out for me. They were my self-appointed knights of the roundtable. At the time, I did not fully appreciate the way in which they treated me as though I were a delicate piece of crystal. 

They cleaned up their language around me, opened doors, and helped me to put together furniture. Alas, I wanted to be "one of the boys".  I  secretly envied those women whom were treated in that manner. Turns out those women were envious of my position of being under the constant watchful eye of the boy guardians.




2 comments:

  1. I don't think it ever changes. I know I have my boy guardians still. Luckily my older brothers have that down, but there are about 5 more more guys who will always be there for me no matter what. I kind of like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, I am blessed to have them in my life. They prevented me from making unwise decisions. Alas, sometimes I felt like the Audrey Hepburn character in "Roman Holiday"...stifled by the high expectations of others.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Bougie Girl