Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Freewriting Series: Living With An Outdated View of Ourselves And Others





This photo was taken back in 2007 on a windy Spring afternoon.

I have been listening to lots of archived podcasts of Steve Maraboli. He is motivational speaker (amongst other things) with a weekly show on Blog Talk Radio entitled: Empowered Living: Life the Truth and Being Free.

Recently,  I listened to him discuss the perils of living with an outdated view of ourselves and others.  According to Steve, we are constantly changing, but our refusal to accept it  is what brings unnecessary pain into our lives.

Listening to this podcast, made me stop and contemplate all of the times in which I refused to accept that it was time to move from a friendship or a relationship.

At the time, I recall thinking that I could deal with someone else viewing me as an outdated version of myself.

I rationalized that it was worth the frustration and pain to stay in that situation because my shared history with the person cancelled those feelings out. By the same token, sometimes I chose to view others through a lens which was fogged up with nostalgia and not reality.

I am realizing (yet again) that upgrading myself means leaving some people behind which makes me feel disloyal to them.

Yet, I know that  being mentally/emotionally/spiritually  inauthentic to keep someone whom I have outgrown rooted in my life is the ultimate in self-betrayal.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Bougie Girl